German

Nested
Re: "Sonderzeichen" (�,�,�,�) are being displayed correctly.
User: kmaclean
Date: 4/6/2008 7:52 pm
Views: 414
Rating: 77

Hi Ralf,

>Would it be possible to implement more of my prompts into the speech submission application?

Done.  You now have 1200+- German prompts  ... enjoy!  :)

As an aside, it would be better if your prompts did not contain numerals (e.g. 1010, 555-2234, 1918) - it is better if they are written out (e.g. ten ten, five five five twenty two thirty four, nineteen eighteen).  Because for some

• dates (e.g. Nineteen-Eighteen vs. Nineteen-Hundred-and-Eight, ...),
  •  telephone numbers (five-five-five-twenty-two-thirty-four vs. five-five-five-two-two-three -four, ...) and
  •  long numbers (e.g. ten-ten vs one-thousand-and-ten vs one-oh-one-oh, ...),
different people say them differently (in English at least, I assume the same applies to most other languages).  If they are written out, you can be sure that it will be read consistently. 

thanks, 

Ken 

Re: "Sonderzeichen" (�,�,�,�) are being displayed correctly.
Date: 4/6/2008 7:57 pm
Views: 821
Rating: 23

HI Ralf,

>The German speech submission application now works fine under all systems.

thanks!

Ken 

Re: Localizing the SpeechSubmission App to German
User: cib
Date: 3/29/2009 9:12 am
Views: 108
Rating: 10

> I think we should avoid the option "Hochdeutsch", too many people think their German to be *the* standard :-) My dialectology classes were a long time ago, so more advice is still very welcome.

Well, what about the people who do speak an accent that is not bound to any region in Germany? As I already stated in a comment on the site of the script, I have lived in a few different states, thus I adopted a sort of "general" German, "Hochdeutsch", which is pronounced the same in many states(atleast Bayern, Badem-Württemberg, Thüringen and Berlin) and which is also used on TV or radio. This kind of German exists and there should be an option for it in my opinion.

Re: Localizing the SpeechSubmission App to German
User: timobaumann
Date: 4/15/2009 3:31 pm
Views: 73
Rating: 10

Hi cib,

well, by definition accents are bound to regions. But not everybody has a strong accent, that's definitely true. I don't know where I wound anchor your accent (all I have is your misspelling of Badem-Württemberg -- or just a typo?). In the experiments we perform, we usually ask people where they went to elementary school. So maybe rephrasing the question is the solution, if we don't want to change the possible answers.

Cheers, timo

Standarddeutsch - Standard German
User: ralfherzog
Date: 4/16/2009 8:38 am
Views: 155
Rating: 8

Hi Timo! Hi cib!

I think that a solution might be to add the option 'Standarddeutsch' to the VoxForge speech submission application ('Aussprachevarietät'). The expression 'Standarddeutsch' is better than 'Hochdeutsch'.

Greetings, Ralf

Re: Standarddeutsch - Standard German
Date: 4/22/2009 12:14 pm
Views: 3475
Rating: 9

Hi Timo/cib/Ralf,

>I think that a solution might be to add the option 'Standarddeutsch' to the

>VoxForge speech submission application ('Aussprachevarietät').

Thanks Ralf!

@Timo/cib - is this OK with the both of you?  I don't know German, so I have to rely on your feedback to incorporate this proposed change.

Ken

PreviousNext